Friday, July 22, 2011

Yours to Keep

Written by Shannon Stacey

Goodreads Synopsis: Sean Kowalski no sooner leaves the army than he's recruited by Emma Shaw to be her fake fiance. Emma needs to produce a husband-to-be for her grandmother's upcoming visit, and, though Sean doesn't like the deception, he could use the landscaping job Emma's offering while he decides what to do with his civilian life. And, despite his attraction to Emma, there's no chance he'll fall for a woman with deep roots in a town he's not planning to call home.
Emma's not interested in a real relationship either; not with a man whose idea of home is wherever he drops his duffel bag. No matter how amazing his "pretend" kisses are...

My Confession: Are you ready? This was my first ebook purchase. Yup, you read that correctly. I bought this book on my Nook. And as far as I can tell, this book only exists in an electronic format. Now, I've never been quiet about my disdain for the ebook technology; I'm hopelessly old-fashioned when it comes to books. I love holding them in my hands -- I love lining them up on my bookshelves. But, in the spirit of my then-upcoming publishing program, my parents bought me a Nook as a graduation present. And I couldn't just let it sit there collecting dust, right? It's not exactly a cheap piece of equipment. Yours to Keep was a perfect purchase; I'm going to be honest -- it's not a cover I'd want to be caught with on the subway. But the plot seemed cutesy and light enough for a rainy-day read.

Hardly Harlequin: And while this was, most definitely, a slightly watered-down romance novel, I have to admit that I really enjoyed it. While the plot really did revolve around sexual tension and will-they-or-won't-they questions, there were some genuinely funny and sweet moments. Like when Sean leaves Post-It notes for Emma on their bathroom mirror. Or when they're both up to their elbows in mulch while working at Emma's landscaping business. There was a lot of build up and character development throughout, and while I could tell where it was all going to end up, I was so satisfied when it finally got there. I was pretty invested in the characters and their relationship. And every time I started to get bored with the romantic song-and-dance, something new was introduced to keep the story from getting stagnant. Not bad for a fluffy read.

Recommendation: If you have an eReader, go for it. This book is relatively cheap (under $5), and it's worth the Abe Lincoln if you're looking for something mindless, sweet, and with a happy (and sappy) ending. If you don't have an eReader, you won't hear me advocating you to go out and buy one. While I've warmed up a little to my Nook, I can't imagine that technology ever becoming the primary way I read books. I'm too tactile a person, and swiping my finger across a screen doesn't come close to simulating turning a real page, not matter what the commercials promise. But this was a worthwhile ebook purchase. Have at it!

Rating: 3.5/5

published by Carina Press (June 6, 2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment