Sunday, November 27, 2011

Breaking Dawn: Part One Movie Review


First off: yes, I succumbed. And no, I'm not going to apologize. I read the Twilight series back in college, before the insanity began and way before Robert Pattinson died a wizard and woke up a vampire. I gave them a shot because, hey, I'm a book freak and these were getting good reviews. Are they the best things ever written? Hell to the no. Is the story kinda catchy? Yep. It's a guilty pleasure that none of us really take seriously. The movies started off awful, with blue-tinged film and horrific acting, and slowly got better (at least cinematically). But the only thing I cared about when I slipped into my seat at the theater to watch Breaking Dawn Part 1 was how they were going to cut the massive fourth book in half. And if they were going to do it well.


And you know what? They did. They really did. I actually enjoyed this film because it paid extremely close attention to the book. I think this is the first film where I really felt like I was watching the book come alive on the screen. Everything that happened in the book happened in the movie--almost to a T. And, no matter the story, I'm always impressed by that. Pay very close attention to this next sentence because you will never see me write it again: I found Kristen Stewart tolerable as Bella. While I find Rob positively yummy (so long as he doesn't open his mouth when he goes on talk shows--boyfriend is awkward ), I have always found Kristen flat, dull, and personality-less. Which somehow makes her the perfect Bella. And yet, especially during the scenes where she's defending her life-threatening pregnancy (cue the feminists here), I found her mildly convincing. I know. An early Christmas miracle.


I found the sex scene tasteful, the wedding actually pretty moving, and the graphics intense and cool. This franchise has come a long way since the first film (which, oddly enough, is still my favorite of the four so far) and I'm a little tired of people hating on it. No, I'm not a Twi-hard, but I also know that two-plus hours of a minimal escape from reality with a face like Rob's isn't awful either. This movie was pretty decent. You don't need to have seen the first three movies or even be familiar with the plot to see the film. It's pretty self-explanatory. It's certainly not going to gain any new fans, but it's definitely going to please the ones who already exist. And the last moment? Extremely cool. Saw it coming, but I still jumped a little.

Oh, and if you want a sneak peek of Renesmee, click here. She's a cutie.

Grade: B

Photos courtesy of Google Images

No comments:

Post a Comment